We love a good grilled cheese sandwich and I thought this one was particularly appropriate since avocado is so good for you! I actually found this recipe on the Bake Your Day blog via Pinterest. The colors in the photo caught my eye especially because it has avocados and tomatoes too—both things that my family loves!
Simple to prepare, I thought it would be a great way to use up seasonal produce this summer. I paired it with a homemade tomato basil soup (recipe to come!) and it was a hit with my whole family! Even the sometimes-picky-eater ate nearly all of his! We will definitely be making this sandwich often. And I love that we can put it into our vegetarian meal rotation since we’re always looking for new recipes to try so that we can have at least (most weeks) one meatless meal each week.
Here’s the recipe so you can try it too!
Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 sandwiches
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 slices of bread of your choice (I used whole wheat because that’s what I had on hand)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 8-10 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Butter for bread
- In a small bowl, mix the avocado with the lemon juice and salt. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Butter both slices of bread on one side and put together (butter sides together). Then you can build your sandwich on top of the non-buttered side facing up.
- Lay a quarter of the cheese on the bottom piece of bread. Add a layer of the smashed avocado and top with several tomato halves. Finish with another quarter of the cheese.
- Lift up layered bread and place in frying pan that has been heated over medium-high heat. Place second piece of buttered bread on top (buttered side up).
- When the bottom piece of bread is slightly browned, flip over and continue to grill until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove the sandwich from the pan.
- Repeat for the second sandwich.
- I think this would be good with many different kinds of cheese, like maybe a cheddar jack.
Just a few simple ingredients is all it takes for this delicious and quick "gourmet" grilled cheese sandwich!