Drink this up first thing in the morning or midday for a refreshing boost of energy! Make it organic! Or else you may as well not drink juice at all.
When you juice conventional vegetables you are likely absorbing all the pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or genetically modified organism (GMO) stored in them. Because juices are so concentrated your body will soak up those chemicals immediately. Especially if you are doing a cleanse, this is crucial! I know you may be thinking, isn’t just drinking juice in general better than no juice at all? Well, there is something to be said about that, as it’s better than most people are drinking daily (soda, sugared coffees and pasteurized juice). However if you are making the effort to enhance your health, then you may as well go the full length and do it right!
If you’re not sold on juicing yet, here are some of the main benefits…
- It helps your body absorb the nutrients from the vegetables/fruits. Many individuals have difficulty digesting certain foods. As a result, the body doesn’t absorb all of the nutrients that the food provides. Juicing helps to “pre digest” the food for you, making it easier for your body to receive and absorb all of the nutrients.
- Juicing helps you increase your consumption of fruits and vegetables. Many individuals do not get enough fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Juicing allows you to obtain all of the beneficial nutrients in a quick and timely fashion.
- Juicing helps to broaden your intake of various fruits and vegetables. It is easy to stick to the same fruits and vegetables day in and day out. But it is important to rotate your intake of various foods to get the full spectrum of nutrients.
- It helps to improve your health and sustain a nutritious raw lifestyle. Eating a high percentage of raw fruits and vegetables contributes to high energy levels and faster recovery from illness…as well as a slower aging process.
- You are able to obtain all of the beneficial enzymes found in the produce, which is important for metabolism.
- The body receives a sufficient amount of phytochemicals, which help it to fight disease.
- Juicing provides the body with a high concentration of antioxidants, which help to combat free radicals.
- They are rich in vitamins and minerals and help to hydrate the body
- Juicing is a live liquid supplementation. Greater benefits than taking synthetic supplementation.
- There are lots of options when it comes to juice, play with different combinations!
Problems with buying store bought juices:
- Juice in bottles is often pasteurized. This means it is heated to at least 145*F/62*C to make it shelf stable, thus deactivating the beneficial enzymes.
- Plastic packaging contains “leachables” or some sort of chemical component that ends up in the juice.
- Plastic is harmful to the environment as it contributes to pollution, affects wildlife, and ultimately ends up in the food chain.
Juice delivery cleanses:
In terms of juice delivery services, you need to ask yourself a few questions. How fresh is the juice? Are these companies adding in any preservatives to make the juice last longer? Are they using completely organic ingredients? Storing the juice in plastic bottles? It is hard to know. That is why it is best to juice your own fruits and vegetables. If you can’t get organic produce, wash thoroughly with a vegetable wash, peel and avoid anything that is known to be heavily sprayed (strawberries, blueberries, bell peppers , etc.) or cannot be peeled (like berries).
Depending on your budget there is a wide range of juicers to choose from. However, one company in Toronto in particular is just quite a few steps above the rest and that’s Belmonte Raw. The owner, and my friend, Carol Belmont, strictly adheres to healthy, organic and environmentally friendly principles.
I will be doing her 5 day juice cleanse next week. So if anyone wants to join me and share their experience on Facebook or Twitter (@marniwasserman), or if you’ve already done one, please share your experience!